Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Paper-thin walls

Its been a LONG day. I got back from work at 7 am and fell asleep. In less than two hours I awakened to find a male stranger knocking on my bedroom door, and four more strange men in the living room. It took me a few long seconds to remember they were the painters that management scheduled to come to every apartment. I awkwardly found some real pants and exited the unit fast. I went to campus to find Bryan and borrow Scott's key to try to rest in their close by pad.  I tried to sleep and couldn't- I don't know if it was because I had been up too long or because I was trying to sleep in someone else's bed. So, I headed to the grocery store and to the library. No, I had nothing to study so I read trashy magazines (people, self, whatever they had.)

I went back to my apartment three hours later and they weren't done. I went to my car and sat in it and chatted on the phone. Finally the painters were gone. I again tried to sleep- still couldn't. Bryan came home and forced me to try to sleep again. After half an hour of sleeping, some rap music started playing really loud. Bryan played detective and found out it was our neighbors upstairs. He knocked on their door, rang the door bell, then proceeded to pound on the door. They wouldn't answer or turn it down. Then Bryan came to our bedroom and banged the ceiling. The neighbors turned down the song they had had on repeat and knocked back loudly on the floor. Classy I know.

Minutes later we could hear a baby crying and voices. Continuing as detective, Bry got my stethoscope, stood on the bed, and tried to listen to their conversation haha. It didn't help magnify anything juicy, but how awesome would it be if it did?! Bryan had to coerce me to try to sleep yet again. He promised an original bedtime story if I would try to nap. He delivered a clever tale about penguins, Carliel and his friend Padmae, following a lifetime dream to learn the accordion. They discovered an amber brown beverage along the way. And WALA... I was finally able to sleep. Now, a few hours later, I'm awake. Who knows how sleeping tonight will go? I'm so grateful for a loving, funny, protective husband. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Bry Bry as a detective with a stethoscope is supremely funny to me! Unfortunately, I have had similar experiences in trying to sleep after a night shift and people make SO much noise! Are you sleeping with ear plugs? I think they are uncomfortable to sleep in, but once I am asleep, I definitely appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete